468x60



Saying ‘Yes’ and ‘No’

Now, let’s learn how to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to the question in previous topic.


Casual
Polite
Yes
어 or 응
(eo or eung)
네
(ne)
No
아니
(ani)
아니요
(aniyo)

If you like pizza, you can just say 어 (eo = yes), or say 어 (eo) and repeat the verb 좋아해요 (joahaeyo = like) as in the dialogue below. In English, we can add ‘I do’ as in ‘Yes, I do’. But in Korean, simply repeat the verb.

Friend 1  :   피자 좋아해?                                      Do you like pizza?
                  Pija joahae?

Friend 2  :   어, 좋아해.                                          Yes, I do.
                  Eo, joahae.


If you don’t like pizza, you can just say 아니 (ani = no) to your friend. You can also add the verb, but in this case you have to use the negative of the verb (just as in English you say ‘No, I don’t’) which you can form by putting the negative word 안  (an = not) right before the verb 좋아해 (joahae = like) as in the dialogue below.

Friend 1  :   피자 좋아해?                                     Do you like pizza?
                   Pija joahae?

Friend 2  :   아니, 안 좋아해.                                No, I don’t.
                   Ani, anjoahae.


However, it sounds too direct, so an indirect reply is often used, as in the dialogue below.

Friend 1  :   피자 좋아해?                                 Do you like pizza?
                   Pija joahae?

Friend 2  :   난 별로야                                       Not really.
                   Nan pyeolroya.


In Korean, it is considered impolite to say ‘no’ directly. Instead, you would normally give an excuse or reason without actually saying 아니요 (aniyo = no). For example, if someone asked you if you had a spare moment to lend them a hand, you might reply with 좀 바쁜데요 (Jom pappeundeyo = I am a little bit busy).


Want a better view? Download this note :




No comments:

Post a Comment